Tuesday, April 19, 2016

"NASA (aka Janice and David) We have an engine!"


The engine resembles a swan.  

The past 9 months have been filled with anxiety and anticipation since we first found out about the failure of the Raw Water Exchanger and ultimate engine failure in September.  Dealing with the insurance and marinas has been a true learning curve for us.  For those of you reading this who have a diesel engine, we learned something new.  This part should be examined every 5-10 years for possible failure.   However, I digress from today's happily ever after story.




Niemiec Marine in New Bedford had the dubious task of repairing the engine over the winter and it was delivered to the Fairhaven Marine shop here in Fall River last week, looking all shiny and new. Yesterday, in conjunction with Borden Light Marina (where we have kept our boat for the past 10 years) workers the engine was hoisted up and over and into the engine compartment of Obsession. As usual, I recorded as much of it as I could. It still has to be "attached" and the shaft and propellor will be properly aligned once it is launched.  All parties have been outstanding to work with.


I am famous for my "butt shots".  To my defense, in this case I wanted
to be sure not to be in the way.  
In addition to the "paid" help, David did his thing - painting the bottom of the boat.  He is making sure to put a heavy coat of black paint this year.  After all, Obsession may not be hauled again until Fall of 2017.  He will finish painting the bottom today, and if the weather holds for the rest of the week he should be able to polish the sides.  Meanwhile, I will start to sand and varnish the only teak on the boat - the cockpit doors.
A shiny new shaft awaits the propellor.
(We have a maxi-prop and will bring the original prop with us on our trip - just in case)
So, we are making progress.  Slow, but steady progress.  As more and more is accomplished on readying the boat, excitement starts to build.  People at the marina stop and chat - most know of our plans - and they are excited for us and, in some cases jealous.  I tell them (mostly the younger ones) their time will come.  After all, this has been David's and my dream for at least 25-30 years now.  I think the day we actually turn the corner out of Narragansett Bay in September someone will have to pinch me so I will know it's really happening.  (And that person will have to be, of course, my captain, my partner, my husband, my friend and my love - David).

Scraping excess barnacles and debris. Then a nice, thick coat of Black bottom paint.
 The weather this week has so far cooperated, and the longer range forecast for the rest of the week looks somewhat promising.  We have had picnic lunches at the marina, cocktails and dinner at home on the deck every night. We have enjoyed beautiful sunsets every night, and we are taking advantage of a free week of HBO and STARZZ while we still have access to a 50 inch TV and Comcast.









No comments:

Post a Comment